1. The criticism process:
Pick 3 Questions:
13. I found planning and choosing what to do for a project the most difficult. I would just sit and waste too much time drawing many sketches but towards the end of the class it got easier because I started looking for inspiration online. Next time I would find more pieces others have made and put ideas together to make my own. I can plan ahead how much time to use to for each step in making my pieces.
17. One of the most helpful warmups were the spheres in the different mediums. They helped me understand how to give objects depth and how the light hits objects and creates shadows. These skills helped me improve on still life and realistic drawings. The different mediums introduced me to things I haven't used before and gave me practice using them.
18. I enjoyed working with watercolor the most. We didn't use that medium a lot but I enjoyed it because of all of the techniques you could use with it and I liked the fact that you have to paint fast so it doesn't take that long to finish. I wish I had used chalk pastels that we used for one warmup because I like the texture it gives. Chalk pastels seem like a good medium to blend smoothly and layer different elements of a piece.
In progress photo.
1. My tray is going to be used for putting snacks in to go with the drink in my mug. I used food safe glaze and made the clay thick enough so it doesn't crack while I'm using it.
2. I found a clay tray on pinterest with the same shell design and made a tray and mug.
3. I started with a slab of clay and used a plastic tray covered with cooking oil. I then trimmed the sides and once that set I carved the shells on the inside and attached shell shapes to the sides. Then I started the mug using a pvc pipe and then attached a bottom and a handle. Finally I carved the shells and lines out and glazed both pieces after they were fired first.
In Progress Picture
1. I used 1 point perspective.
2. I chose color pencils as my medium.
3. I took the photo at Carolina beach next to a pier of a seafood restaurant.
4. I found it difficult to match every line to the perspective and have the right proportions.
1. I used 5 techniques and 4 mediums in my piece. I had a tissue paper undercoat, marble effect acrylic background, bubble wrap with acrylic paint texture, white pen flowers, and some glitter spots.
2. My world was garden and flowers. I portrayed it with flower drawings on top of earthy colors such as green, blue, and yellow.
1. My piece shows of the theme line with the line textures in the background and as you can see in the linoneum block my whole piece was cut out using line strokes.
2. I think my piece was successful in the way it turned out in the end. I really like the two colors fading together and the texture of the background. If I did this project again, I would change the butterfly to maybe a butterfly and flower or with more design to make it more interesting.
Finished Blog Post:
1. Since my last post I have finished the petals on the top and smoothed out the clay before any color. Then I painted the whole thing with acrylics and finished off with a acrylic glaze coat.
2. From this piece I find the flower to be the most successful and the fact that I could actually replicate my idea.
3. If I were to do it again I would change how I made the base of the box because the lid doesn't completely line up with the box.
1. I plan on finishing the carvings and smoothing out all of the box. Then once it is fired I'm going to add glaze. The flower on my lid is going to be acrylic so I will paint it after the glaze is fired.
2. I have found it difficult to work at a faster pace and the carvings kept cracking the box and I had to fix it over and over again.
3. I find the lid to be successful because it looks like how I wanted it to turn out.
4. I used a slab of clay and cut out pieces to make a box shape and a lid. Then I scored and slipped each piece together and started sculpting petals for the flower on the lid with my hand. After that I started working on carving the design out from the actual box and I added balls of clay to attach the lid onto the box.
I picked color pencils for this project because it gave a smooth finish even if I used many colors and values. For the "two-in-one" I chose to put together an eye and storm clouds. I first started with the base of an eye and skin then started adding the clouds and smaller details in the skin. Then I added eyelashes and the eyebrow and lastly I colored in the tear (rain) drops.
My favorite medium was the oil pastels because it gave a smooth and bold finish to the sphere colors, the colors blended very nicely. My least favorite was watercolor because it dried very quickly and gave harsh lines. It also peeled the paper while painting.